Wurster Construction has a long history of being a safety conscious contractor. Additionally, Wurster is a certified MICCS Safety Contractor, a member of the ABC STEP safety program and in 2004, Wurster received an Award for Safety Excellence from Amerisure Insurance in recognition of our low recordable incident rate (25% below the industry average).
Our approach to your project would include:
- Review of the plans and specifications to ensure that the constructability will allow for safety procedures.
- Review of the schedule to ensure safety practices are adhered to in the phasing/scheduling requirements.
- Review of specific concerns for the users based on the changes that construction would impact their operations. Pedestrian traffic, building access, handicap concerns, quality temporary entrances, controlled spaces, noise and dust control to name but a few.
- All subcontractors short-listed to bid are reviewed as to their safety records and experience in this occupied setting.
- Review with the subcontractors that they have included in their bid all required safety costs and protocols.
- During the preconstruction meeting, insurance certifications are required to be in our office before proceeding with construction activities.
- Before being allowed on site, ALL SUBCONTRACTORS must meet with Wurster to review their Job Hazard Analysis for the specific project.
- Safety Management Group (SMG), an independent safety consultant, will do weekly job site inspections.
- Wurster Construction’s Superintendent will do weekly site inspections.
Safety will be the first topic at each and every subcontractor meeting (either weekly or biweekly) with a review of the next week’s activity and any safety precautions that all tradesmen should be made aware of.
Wurster Construction’s commitment to safety is well-documented, if not fully represented in the following:
- Wurster Construction has not received any OSHA citations for the last 7 years.
- Wurster is a Metro Indianapolis Coalition for Construction Safety (MICCS) Certified Contractor. We have been recognized 6 out of the last 8 years with a Zero Injury Award.
- Wurster is a designated Indiana Department of Labor Partner as a MICCS Certified Contractor.
Wurster is a valuable construction partner for Indiana University Health having an office inside Methodist Hospital for over 20 years. We perform hundreds of small capital and maintenance projects each year for the IUH Facilities Departments.